In der Vogelstang 3
Geschäftsführer: Ali Taghavi
Verantwortlich für den Inhalt nach § 55 Abs. 2 RStV: Ali Taghavi
Ust. ID: DE300975119
email: [email protected]
Welcome to SwingStep GmbH (“SwingStep,” “we,” “our” or “us”) and/or any of our affiliate websites that features other products and services by SwingStep GmbH.
Please read this document carefully. We offer a range of services that can enhance your experience as a dancer. When you use our services (for example: classes, parties, events, engaging with the community on our platforms, gift certificates, online videos, or any other products) you will be subject to the guidelines, terms and agreements applicable to our services.
These terms and conditions apply to all our websites, studios, events (collectively, “services”) and they apply to all visitors, users and others (“you”) who access or use the services.
By using any of the products or services owned and operated by SwingStep GmbH, you are confirming that you have read and accepted these terms and conditions.
By engaging with our services, you confirm that you are of legal age to form a binding contract or that you have parental consent to receive our services. You also agree that you are providing true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the registration or purchase process for the service you engage with. You agree that you will maintain and update your registration data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete in case of changes. We do reserve the right to suspend or terminate access to our service at any time if we suspect that you have not provided us with true, accurate, current and complete information, or if you break our Code of Conduct.
- www.swingstep.com – where you can find all our dance services
- www.swingstep.tv – our online learning platform
- www.chasefestival.com – a dance festival in Heidelberg, Germany
- www.swingsummit.com – a dance festival in Ardèche, France
- www.cirque-du-solo.com – a dance festival in Berlin, Germany
- www.lindyhopmoves.com – an online curation of swing dance instruction videos
- www.casuallyfancy.com – clothing with vintage feel designed for dancers
Participating in in-class experiences
An in-class experience is any service in which you visit one of our event locations, such as our dance studios, and participate in a class – typically with instructors and other participants.
Information on classes
We try to keep all of our posted information as up to date as possible, but we cannot guarantee that information on courses (e.g. dates, fees) is always accurate on every online and in-studio posting.
Before confirming your registration, we will check if there is enough capacity to accept your participation for the choices you made (e.g. level, group), and if the follower-to-leader ratio is sufficiently balanced.
Confirmation & Payment Process
Once we can confirm your registration, you will receive an email in which we state your confirmation and how you can complete the contract: by paying within 5 days for weekly classes and 14 days for workshops – unless we clearly state otherwise in the confirmation email sent to you.
Please note that all our charges include 19% VAT as well as fees for music licensing (GEMA). Our events with live acts include the contributions to the artists health and social care authority (Künstlersozialkasse).
If we do not receive your payment within the stated time period, we may send a reminder email as a courtesy to remind you of your payment obligation. However, we also reserve the right to cancel your participation, for example to give the spot to another participant.
When processing registrations, we do our best to ensure a good follower-to-leader ratio so that we do not contribute to an experience where a lot of dancers don’t have a partner in the class. However, we cannot guarantee nor be held accountable for cases where participants do not show up due to illness or other factors beyond our control resulting in suboptimal follower-to-leader balance.
If you register to an event together with a partner, we will check for sufficient space, but not for appropriate leader-follower ratio, since signing up with a partner does not influence this ratio. However, in case either of you cancel your participation, we reserve the right to also cancel the participation of the other person in order to maintain proper balance of roles at the event.
Sometimes we also advise registrants to sign up to a more adequate level in case we recognize that the group of their choice will not be suitable to provide the best experience for all involved. Although it occurs rarely, we do reserve the right to refuse participation or ask a person to change groups if their ability to keep up with the group has a negative impact on the experience of the group as a whole.
Missing classes & how to catch up
We understand that it can happen that you are unable to attend one or multiple classes for individual or personal reasons. Although we do not refund any portion of your money for missed classes, we can offer you the following options to catch up with the content:
- See if there is a parallel class/course with the same content on another day that you can participate in. Ideally, ask a fellow student from your class of the opposite role to go there with you as a partner, so that your participation does not harm the follower to leader ratio of that class. However, please note that if you and your partner do not have the appropriate experience or if the class is full, the instructors can ask you not to participate. This is not part of our official terms and conditions, but a goodwill from us to make it easier for you to catch up on missed material.
- In addition, you are welcome to use our weekly practice times for free to meet with other students to train the material you have missed; and often a member of our team is available to help you and to answer your questions.
- As part of our product, we provide short video recapitulations of each class, a.k.a “Recap video” which you will receive via email shortly after each class. These videos can be used to remind yourself of the content you’ve learned, or see what you’ve missed.
100% Money back guarantee
The portion of the services that comes Directly from SwingStep GmbH always comes with a 100% money back guarantee! If you attended an event and feel it was not what you expected and you are not satisfied with the experience, you can ask for a part or all of your money back. We believe our services will bring you a lot of value so we are confident that we can provide you this guarantee.
However, please note that this policy only applies to the services Directly provided to you by SwingStep GmbH and do not include any costs for traveling, accommodation, catering or any other services or costs not Directly incurred by SwingStep GmbH. Also, the 100% money back guarantee is only applicable when you attended the event or class. If you cancel the event for any reason and do not attend, our cancellation and refund policy applies.
This is because we guarantee you a spot in a limited-access event and you guarantee us your participation. In case you cancel, we might not be able to fill your spot before the event, and thus the cancellation policy will apply.
Cancelling your participation for an in-class event
If you have to cancel your registration, please email us at [email protected].
A cancellation is defined as you not being able to attend the event or class you registered for, independent of the reason.
The following cancellation terms apply to all SwingStep GmbH weekly local classes (e.g., in Heidelberg and Berlin) and workshops (e.g, Chase Festival, SwingSummit, Cirque du Solo).
Beyond your right of withdrawal within 14 days of online purchase (see section Right of withdrawal), the following refund policy applies:
- If you cancel before the start of the course, 100% of your payment will be converted into credit for our services.
- If you cancel up to halfway through the course round (e.g. up to the third course unit of a six-week course), 50% of your payment will be converted into credit for our services.
- If you cancel anytime later, we cannot issue any credit.
- If you cancel up to 3 months before the event, 100% of your payment will be converted into credit for our services.
- If you cancel up to 1 month before the event, 50% of your payment will be converted into credit for our services.
- If you cancel up to when the event starts, 25% of your payment will be converted into credit for our services.
You can use your credit for any of our offers, including weekly courses and workshops. You also have the option of getting your credit in the form of a voucher that you can use, give away or sell. Credits are valid indefinitely: even if you take a longer break, we will always be happy to welcome you back.
Please note that SwingSummit comes with a 120€ non-refundable deposit which is not subject to the above timeline. However, the deposit can be transferred to another participant if you find a person who is not signed up to the event yet and who will replace you.
It is possible to transfer your participation to any in-class experience to someone else and thus, depending on the arrangement you make with the other person, recuperate all or some of your payment. However, we do not promise to accept your replacement choice as it will depend very much on the follower-to-leader ratio as well as the level of the replacement participant.
If you change your registration to a smaller package we can apply the cancellation policy on the difference (for example: changing from full pass to parties only).
What if we cancel an event?
Courses / Teachers cancellation
- We cannot always guarantee that a course will take place — for example in the event of a teacher’s illness or loss of a room. Should this happen, we will inform you immediately.
- We cannot always guarantee that you will have one or both of the official teachers of a course you booked as it is possible that something happens that a teacher can not make it to a class.
What 2020 has reminded us of is that events outside of our control can and at some point will happen. That means we might be forced to cancel an event due to reasons beyond our control. However, we want to do our best to honour your commitment to us by making sure that you get full value for your payment.
When such events occur, we will send you an email or survey where we give you the following options:
You can transfer the full value of your credit to any other SwingStep GmbH service or product without any time-limit. It really helps if you can support us by either transferring your payment to one of our other events or even, if possible, consider treating a part of your payment as a contribution. Any contribution from you – Direct or as credits – helps us to continue organizing events for you in the future.
Of course it may not be possible for you to afford the credit or contribution options, so the form also includes the option of a refund. In the case of a refund request, we communicate what the refund payment time-frame will be. Depending on the size of the event, we might not be in the position of making a prompt refund payment and need to distribute the refunds over a period of time.
Please note that we cannot be responsible for other costs that occur due to the cancellation of the event – such as travel, hotel and food costs or any other costs you might have had in connection with our event. For this reason we highly recommend that you always book individual travel insurance.
Right of withdrawal
When you order anything online, you are protected by the “right of withdrawal” for most types of products and services you buy; this regulation of course also applies to us. For any of our services, when you register and purchase our services, you have the right to cancel that service and get a full refund of your money within fourteen days without giving any reasons. The 14 days start from the conclusion of the contract. This is when the following happens:
In the case of our online services, that means from the moment you have initiated your payment for our services. In the case of our in-class experiences, that is from the moment you accept your spot in the class. A detailed instruction comes with each confirmation email.
Your happiness is important to us, which is why to exercise your right of withdrawal, you simply need to send us an email to [email protected] (SwingStep GmbH, In der Vogelstang 3
69115 Heidelberg) and inform us that you want to withdraw from your contract. Although we appreciate your feedback, no reason is necessary from your side.
Once you withdraw from your contract with us, we will reimburse all payments we’ve received from you in connection to that specific contract.
In case there were costs associated with delivery of goods (e.g, Casually Fancy items), we will also reimburse you the cost of delivery (with the exception of supplementary costs resulting from your choice of a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us). Please send us back the purchased goods within 14 days for a return and damage inspection. We will return your payment within 14 days after that. The reimbursement will happen by the same means of the original payment, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise; in any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of the refund. You will have to bear the Direct cost of returning the goods. You are only liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods.
Please note that when you order a personalized item, such as an item made to your individual measurements and specifications, personal wishes or in a specific color, the right to withdrawal does not apply.
All content available through any of our services, such as text, graphics, logos, digital products, pdfs are subject to copyright and cannot be used without written permission from us.
The words “SwingStep” as well as “Casually Fancy” are subject to trademarks and copyrights owned by SwingStep GmbH and are not permitted for use without explicit approval from SwingStep GmbH.
Trademarks on our websites and services not owned by SwingStep are the property of their respective owners.
The content on any of our websites and services is provided to you in the intended format and for your personal use only and may not be downloaded, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any other purposes whatsoever without the prior written consent of SwingStep GmbH. We reserve all rights, even if not expressly granted, in and to the service and its content.
Please access and use our websites and their content for your personal use in their intended normal functionality. Accessing our services for any purpose or in any manner other than the intended use is expressly prohibited.
Dancing, in particular swing dancing, can be a strenuous physical activity. This is why we urge you to seek the advice of a professional physician or listen to your own judgement before attempting any of the movements you learn from any of our videos or in-class instructions. Our instructors and staff are not professional medical experts and cannot give you medical advice or diagnoses.
We urge you to prioritize your health and only elect to take part in any activity you deem appropriate for your health. By using our services you represent that you understand that you are responsible to judge your own physical and mental capabilities for the activities demonstrated in any of our services. Please listen to your body and do not exceed your limits while performing the activities demonstrated for you. Also, please make sure you have placed yourself in the appropriate level of class for your skill and physical fitness as the movements might get more strenuous as the difficulty of the class increases. Typically, you can either read about expected level, difficulty level or if specific fitness requirements are needed before registering and purchasing our services. If you are unsure, please ask us to clarify the content so that you can make a better decision for yourself.
From time to time our instructors may suggest physical adjustments or the use of equipment. It is your sole responsibility to determine if that information is appropriate for you. By joining our services you explicitly waive and release any claim that you may have at any time for injury of any kind against SwingStep GmbH, or any person or entity (instructors, employees, independent contractors and affiliates) involved with SwingStep GmbH.
Although we currently do not offer any services Directly designed for minors, we do welcome minors to our in-class lessons as well as learning from the online videos. We believe that the dance is for all ages.
However, some of our locations serve alcohol during the evening social dances. Minors are still welcome to those events, but only with the accompaniment of a parent or legal guardian. We also ask minors to wear a badge or indication of age so that it’s clear for others that no alcohol or cigarette should be offered to them.
Events where minors can join:
- Our weekly local classes are open to minors. We endeavor to offer a safe space for everybody to have a good learning experience. Please read our safer-space and code of conduct document.
- Our festivals (e.g, ChaseFestival, SwingSummit, Cirque du Solo etc.) are not designed with minors in mind. Therefore, minors can only attend when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Some of our websites offer membership services where you can create an account to get access to the respective services. Currently, this applies to www.swingstep.tv, where you can purchase our online courses.
Upon creating an account, you will be required to choose a password and username. Please note that you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account information, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur with your password or account. Please inform us immediately if you notice that your account has been compromised and you notice activities not initiated by yourself. Please do not use another member’s account, nor offer yours to another person, as it is against our terms and conditions. In case you forgot your password, or wish to change it, click on the “Forgot password?” link on the sign-in prompt page and follow the instructions.
Be your best self at class
- The experience for everybody in the class will be better when all attend on time and on a regular basis.
- When you are sick or feel that you are getting sick, in order not to infect the teachers or the other participants, do not participate in the class.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited indoors at all our studios, events and facilities. To ensure everybody’s health and comfort, if you wish to smoke please ask our staff where the designated smoking areas are.
- To ensure we can continue offering you our services at our studios, events and other facilities, it is very important that we all respect our neighbourhoods, for example by keeping a low voice while walking to and from event locations.
- Swing dancing is not just partnered but also social, which means that a swing dance event includes frequent partner changes. We feel this value is a big part of our swing culture, so it’s important to us that it’s fundamental to our classes. We regularly change partners in class, so that you have the opportunity to experience the dance with many people and train your ability to dance with many partners. In general, we do not want anyone to exclude themselves from this partner rotation, but we can make exceptions if it’s necessary (e.g. if one of you has an injury or other condition that makes it unsafe and you feel you need to stay with your partner who knows your situation) – please contact us before the course so that we can inform you about the process.
- During the Covid19 pandemic we of course follow health regulations and abstain from partner rotations in class. More information about how courses work at the moment can be found on the course registration pages.
Commercial use of class material
- If you intend to participate in our classes with the intention to use the content for teaching or other commercial usage, please inform us.
Taking videos / photos
- It is absolutely not allowed to take photos or film during a class unless explicitly permitted by the teacher.
Please be mindful about the consequences of harmful actions. We do what we can to provide the best possible experience for you and to be able to keep doing so, we ask you to adhere to the following rules:
- Only use our services exactly as they were intended and do not extract or transmit information such as our music, photographs, videos, bits of sound, graphics, messages (collectively, “content”) without our explicit consent. You may think that it’s ok to download an image or copy-paste another business’ texts… but actually, it’s not.
- Follow our Code of Conduct.
- Do not give out personal information of anyone other than yourself unless you have explicit permission.
- Do not spread false or misleading information.
- Do not conduct any illegal activities, including unauthorized copying of another person’s copyrighted work.
- Do not collect information about other visitors, users, customers, guests and individuals with any role within our events for the purpose of unwanted sharing of information.
- Do not intentionally harm our business by spreading misinformation, poaching our customers or doing unauthorized promotion for services.
Please understand that if you fail to follow our terms and conditions, we reserve the right to block you from participation in any of our events, including cancelling your accounts.
Be aware that you might come into communication with people of different worldviews and mindsets when you engage with our community. Upon your request, we can help you with any communication challenges you may have in order to provide you with the safety you need. However, we cannot be held responsible for the interactions you have with any other member, and our assistance is out of goodwill and not due to legal responsibilities. Please take a moment to also read our Safer Space page.
If we suspect you of violating our terms and conditions, we (including the instructors you have in class) reserve the right to and are authorized to give you instructions, ask you to follow the rules, and, if necessary, demand that you leave – including forcibly escorting you off our premises if need be.
Thank you for understanding that you use our websites and participate in any of our services at your own risk. We, SwingStep GmbH and its employees, or hired consultants and teachers or others affiliated with us:
- do not provide any warranties of any kind to our services
- are not liable for any errors, mistakes or inaccuracies of content
- are not liable for any personal injury or property damage resulting from your access to and use of our websites and services
- are not liable for any unauthorised access to our services and events
- are not liable for any interruption of your access to our services
- are not liable for any bugs, viruses, trojan horses or anything else that might be transmitted to or through the websites by any third party
- are not liable for any loss you may have due to fake services impersonating our services and thus extracting valuable information or money from you
- cannot take any responsibility for products and services advertised at any of our events and services that are made by third parties
Changes to the terms and conditions
We are entitled to change or supplement the content of our terms and conditions to reflect changes or additions to our services or if it is necessary for legal reasons. In cases where we make changes and adjustments to services with existing customers, we need to change or make additions only to the extent where it is reasonable for you as the customer and SwingStep GmbH. We will inform you by email in case of changes four weeks before their enactment via a “notification of change” email.
If any of the parts of our terms and conditions are or become ineffective, this does not affect the validity of the other provisions of the terms and conditions. In the case of ineffective provisions, we will replace them with legally permissible provisions that come as close as possible to what was originally intended. This also applies in the event of an unintentional loophole.